3rd Hamburg Business Day Iraq
- June 17, 2013
- Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg
Benefiting from strong economic growth
June 17th, 2013, 9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg
Conference language: English
The Republic of Iraq has drawn the interest of foreign investors in the last years who realized the enormous investment potential of the country. The strong economic growth and the increasing demands of the population reveal shortages and missing expertise in the field of infrastructure and industry.
Due to rising oil exports the volume of expenditure until 2017 amounts to USD 470 billion. The missing technical know-how and the tremendous need of knowledge in management and organizational methods offer German companies and „Made in Germany” the best chances to gain big market shares.
On behalf of H.E. Dr. Hussain Mahmood Fadhlalla Alkhateeb, Ambassador of the Republic of Iraq, invited representatives from politics and economics to receive up to date first-hand information and discuss the economic situation, opportunities and challenges of the Iraqi market with Iraqi and German experts in the following themes and relevant key sectors:
- Macroeconomic and legal framework for doing business in Iraq
- Strategic infrastructure projects und construction industry
- Transportation, logistics and industry
Subsequently, an exciting framework programme on June 18th, 2013 with company site visits and b2b-meetings in the region of Hamburg was arranged. Following, Europe’s biggest trade fair in solar industry, the Intersolar Europe Munich took place mid of June, 2013.
Economic Key information
The Republic of Iraq has drawn the interest of foreign investors and suppliers in the last years who realized the enormous investment potential of the country. The strong economic growth and the increasing demands of the population reveal shortages and missing expertise in the field of infrastructure and industry. According to estimations by the Iraqi investment authorities the need for infrastructure investments in the energy sector will amount to USD 500 billion for the next 10 years and additional USD 500 billion in other sectors
The national budget for 2013 earmarks an expenditure volume of USD 118,6 billion recording an increase of 18% compared to the previous year. From that, USD 45,5 billion (38%) will be apportioned to state investments in the especially in the energy and infrastructure sector. The renewed National Investment Plan 2013-2017 intends an expenditure volume of USD 470 billion from which USD 275 billion are budgeted for infrastrucutre investments.
According to a report by IMF experts, the Iraq was able to maintain the stability of the economy despite the aggravating political climate and record a strong economic growth of 8% in 2012. The projection for 2013 is even as high as 9% and remains constantly strong.
Due to rising oil exports, the Iraq is has enough financial resources to develop its industry and infrastructure.The missing technical know-how and the tremendous need of knowledge in management and organizational methods creates a big market for foreign companies.
The international competition for shares in the Iraqi market between Turkish, Iranian and East Asian companies is intensifying. Nevertheless, German companies have excellent chances due to their particluar reputation “Made in Germany”. The foreign trade between Germany and Iraq shows an upward trend since 2005. German exports increased fom EUR 273,7 million in 2005 to EUR 1.282 million in 2012. According to experts this trend will continue in the next 5 years.
To facilitate your entry into the Iraqi market, the EMA organizes the Business Forum Iraq in Hamburg. Get in touch with decision makers and experts from business, politics and law and establish important contacts with Iraqi businessmen.
This form is currently not availabe. Please contact us via email.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
* I confirm that my information will be registered for the provison of further information about the EMA. All data will be handled with utmost confidentiality and will not be transmitted to third parties.
* A detailed programme and the invoice will be sent to you upon reception of the registration. There is only a limited number of participants, especially for the framework programme. The date of reception of the registration will determine the participation.
* We wish to inform you that the possibilities of sponsoring activities are limited, especially the number of booths and of presentations.
* In case of unforeseen developments and acts of higher nature, the event can be postponed or canceled by the organizer. Payments already issued for admission fees will in this case be reimbursed forthwith. Further restitution of damages cannot be made.
* It is possible to cancel your attendance to an event free of charge up to 7 working days before the event takes place. If you cancel later or if the registered person does not attend the event the full admission fee has to be paid. A representative may attend the event.